It is a set of techniques, methods and tools that provide better visibility on the web and in search engine results, also called SERPs (Search Engine Result Page). There are four types of referencing:
- The Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It allows you to position yourself naturally in the results pages. This is why it is more often called natural referencing.
- The Search Engine Advertising (SEA). It literally results in the establishment of advertising campaign. In general, we talk about paid referencing.
- The Search Engine Marketing (SEM). It is a marketing strategy that combines both SEO and SEA.
- The Search Media Optimization (SMO). This part is dedicated to optimization for social networks. Search engine algorithms increasingly take into account the popularity of sites on SERP networks.
The goal of SEO is to get the best position in the results. You should also know that 33% of clicks are made on the first position. We fall to almost 15% for the second. So imagine if you are on the second page.
How do search engines rank websites?
To index the sites, they will simply send robots to crawl the pages. This means that it will crawl the entire site, according to the conditions set by the search engine.
Google allocates a crawl budget to each site, that is to say a limited number of pages that it will crawl per day. It can be more or less important according to several criteria, which we will see later.
How does SEO work?
To optimize your natural referencing on the web, there are several points to work on. They are divided into three pillars, each of which is equally important:
You have to look inside the watchmaking industry to improve the infrastructure and performance of the site. The goal is to encourage the passage of robots and to minimize the crawl budget. It goes through several points:
- A loading speed of less than 3 seconds.
- Clean website code
- An architecture that is logical, with internal links that are consistent between the pages.
We can also talk about the responsive side, namely that your site must be optimized for mobiles and tablets, it is the norm now. We also talk about security. Google is starting to promote secure sites, so at least in HTTPS.
How to have optimized content?
For that, we will have to work on several aspects of the page or the article:
- Keywords : essential in an SEO content strategy. They will let Google know what you want to talk about, what question you answer. For example, in this article, the goal will be to position oneself on “SEO ” or “Natural SEO”. We prefer long tail keywords, 3 or 4 words.
- Images : They should not be too heavy. Otherwise they will slow down the loading of your site, as seen in the previous pillar. And above all, you should never forget to fill in the ALT tag. This allows the robot to know what the photo or illustration represents. It allows you to position yourself on image searches.
- The number of words : As said above, Google loves content. So the more a page will be filled, with relevant and unique text. We start with a minimum of 700 words for a page and 1000 words for an article.
- The structure : I will detail it in several points.
- First, there is the tagging of titles. We always recommend having 1 single title in H1, which obviously contains the main keyword of the page or article, with then a consistent title structure. We are not going to put an H3 title after an H1 for example, we will always start with a subtitle in H2 which could possibly lead to a lower level in H3. This is called semantic markup.
- Second, there are the Title and Meta tags, which will be the title and description of the page that will appear in the SERPs.
- Finally there is the internal mesh. These are all the links that will send to another page or another article of your site. For example, if you want to know more about what DML Lahore offers, you can go to the page dedicated to SEO services .
- Quality : Content must be worked on and must provide an answer to your Internet user. We forget for a moment the optimization part and think about what the user is looking for. If he came to your site, it is for a very specific reason, he has an expectation.
- Unique : We do not copy from the neighbors! Your content should be yours. It should reflect your way of thinking. A text copied / pasted from another is very quickly spotted and sanctioned by Google’s algorithm. And once you’ve got your hands in the bag, it’s not easy to get your confidence back.
Be popular, make yourself known, have weight, all these criteria will be used to define the authority of your site compared to others, in the same field. This part is particularly important and requires a lot of time and work. Because you will have to work on your professional network, being known to other sites. We no longer speak of competition at this stage, but of mutual aid.
The objective will be to receive links from other websites which are in the same core business. But how do I get my link neighbor to talk about me? There are several answers to this question. You can :
- Write guest articles, also called “Guest Blogging”, for another. In return, that person agrees to make a short presentation of you or your business with a link to your site.
- Having an article in a local newspaper will not only allow you to get known around you, but also to have a link to your site on the online version.
- You can still try to register in online directories. But this practice only improves your authority more or less. On the other hand, subscribe to specialized directories in your field. The algorithm can see that there is a product effort not to be anywhere.
Internet users must be able to navigate easily, without having to think like robots. For that, the site must have an attractive design, or even personalized with the colors of the company. Of course, it must be compatible with any medium. Now, 65% of searches are done on mobile.
And your pages should load quickly. A user experience begins with the loading of the site. If it takes more than 3 seconds, 40% of users will not allow the data time to load.